The Lothbury Centre has a long history as a focus of village life in Weston Colville. Originally built in 1868 as the village school, many people still living in Weston Colville have memories of schooldays there. On this page we will be posting old school photographs and some recollections of what school life was like in the 1940 to 1960s. If you have photos and stories please contact us and we will add them to this page.
It was closed as the village school in 1970 and in 1973 was bought by Michael and Helen Singer who ran it as a successful arts centre for 15 years. On their retirement in 2008 the charity Inspire continued running it until The Centre closed at the end of January 2011. The Old School is now a private residence.
To read the history of the old school written by Tim Cockerill please click here
Clare Crossman’s poem School Children c.1896 is based on a photograph of that date, the children in the back row were probably the first to receive free education at the village school. click here to read the poem