Although a church was mentioned at Weston Colville as early as the 11th century, the present church was originally built in the 14th century. This can be seen from the lower parts of the tower, the chancel and the south doorway. In 1824 the tower fell down and had to be rebuilt together with the chancel and possibly, the north wall of the nave. Many further repairs and alterations have been carried out, including the addition of the vestry in the late 19th century. The church is characterised by the unusual pattern of grey bricks framing the flints. (from a Short Guide to St Mary’s by Chloe Cockerill)
The church is still in use as the parish church with weekly Sunday services and a dedicated Friends organisation that helps to maintain the church building. It is still a focus of village life and in use by all the village for baptisms, weddings and funerals.
Further images and text to come